The Western Québec School Board offers before and after school daycare services to its students in schools where the demand warrants such a service. Daycare is also available on scheduled Professional Development Days throughout the school year. On a P.D. Day, the daycare can also be used by anyone registered in the school that is not already registered in the daycare program.
Our primary aim is to provide a quality daycare program for our students and a service for parents who require daycare services outside school hours. Our program includes a homework period, physical activities, technological experiences as well as socialization.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.
Mavis Palmer, Daycare Technician
CP 119 – 89 rue Centre, Shawville, QC, J0X 2Y0
Hours of Operation
- Morning: 6:45 a.m. to 8:25 a.m.
- After School: 2:55 p.m. to 5:45 p.m
- Professional Development Days: 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Please note that the school opens at 6:45 a.m. and since there is no supervision before that time children must not be left at the school before this time. We also ask that parents are prompt in picking up their children at the end of the day. Our program closes at 5:45 p.m. with the exception of P.D. Days in which the hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The daycare does not operate on school holidays e.g. Christmas and March Break.
The fee for children registered full-time, which any child is registered in for three to five days per week, is $8.35 per day. Rates are subject to change by ministry. Payments of fees are to be paid on a weekly or bi-weekly schedule (your convenience). In the case of unpaid fees, the program is automatically cancelled until fees are paid in full. If a waiting list has been created due to an increase in ratio and the hiring of new staff is required, any parent that has lost daycare privileges due to unpaid fees will have their name added to the bottom of the waiting list and their subsidized spot will be given to the first student on the waiting list.
The fees for children registered as Sporadic, 2 days per week or less the rates are:
- $4.00 Morning
- $12.00 Afternoon
- $16.70 P.D. Days
Receipts are issued for all payments made. We ask that you keep these as a proof of payment. This measure is taken for security reasons only (i.e. if something would happen to our financial records). Please make sure to always obtain your receipt for payment before leaving the Daycare. Do not leave fees at the school office.
If your child is absent from Daycare you are still required to pay your full daycare fee. However, you do not pay for Statutory Holidays, or when the Daycare is closed for Christmas and March Break.
Parents who wish to register his/her child(ren) for P. D. Days, must do so in advance. These days are to be pre-paid upon registration. If the child(ren) do not attend there will be no refunds. If the Daycare is not open (lack of registrations), only in this circumstance will we reimburse you.
Receipts will be issued for Federal Income Tax for regular fee payers / $8.35 per day. Sporadic fees over $16.70 per day are eligible for both tax receipts.
The Daycare will not accept any registration of a child(ren) who has an unpaid balance on an account from the previous school year, or another school until all fees are paid in full.
- Parents must complete the registration and pick up authorization forms.
Access to the daycare, will at all times be through the School’s Main Door due to a new security system. In the morning children go directly to the daycare and report to a staff member. In the afternoon you must report to the daycare via the front door of the school to pick up your child(ren).
- Parents are required to both sign-in and sign-out their child(ren) from daycare, this procedure is very important and must be respected by all parents.
- Keep the daycare and school notified of any changes in situation for emergency and designated persons in case of an emergency.
Pay fees on a regular basis (weekly or bi-weekly) and respect scheduled hours.
- If a cheque is returned NSF from your bank an additional $20.00 will be automatically charged.
- If a parent is late picking up his/her child(ren), an additional $1.00 per minute/per child will be added to the weekly bill.
- If your child will be absent from daycare please notify the daycare at 647-3911.
- The registration form designates what day’s children are attending. Changes are possible, although switched days will result in an extra day in attendance at the regular rate. Staffing is scheduled according to our advance registrations.
- A notice of two weeks must be given if your child(ren) is/are to leave the Daycare before the end of the school year.
Change in After School Plans
Children, who are not going to attend daycare for whatever reason, must have a written letter authorizing them to take bus, or walk home. A letter must be given to both the teacher and the Daycare at the beginning of school. A phone call to the daycare 647-3911 and school office 647-3800 is strongly urged.
In the event that an emergency should occur and a parent finds it impossible to pick up their child(ren) they must notify the Daycare and designate another person to pick them up.
Policy on Attendance
Attendance is taken daily to ensure that all students are in daycare. Please remind your children of any changes in schedule and routine and to hand in all pertinent notes.
Parents are asked to call the daycare by 8:15 a.m., at 647-3911, if your child will be absent from daycare that day. You may leave messages on the daycare answering machine as this is checked regularly.
To ensure the safety of all our children, parents are asked to communicate directly with the daycare any changes in routines or pick up person. This will eliminate any confusion and guarantee that all messages will be received by the daycare.
- Respect adults, the children and the environment. Play safely and respect the Daycare rules and regulations. The children are not to circulate in the school without permission.
- Children are responsible to bring all their belongings to the daycare. They are not permitted to return to their classroom after the end of the regular school day.
Children Experiencing Difficulties
In the case that the child is experiencing difficulties at the Daycare, the Daycare Technician will inform the parents verbally. The staff will work with the parents in an attempt to resolve the situation. However, if the problem persists, a written letter of the situation will be sent home.
If after the written notice, the misbehavior continues, and no improvement is noted, the Principal will be informed. Daycare services can be suspended by the principal.
- Communicate with the parents, and take attendance on daily basis.
- Issue receipts, for all payments made. Issue an annual income tax receipt when required by government law.
- Follow the rules concerning emergencies and medication. Respect the parent’s opinions concerning their child(ren).
- The daycare is responsible for your child(ren) from the moment he/she arrives at the daycare until he/she leaves. Children can only leave with person authorized by parents.
- Provide a safe and happy environment.
Parents will be notified at once. If we cannot get in touch with a parent, the emergency number will be called.
The Daycare has a first aid kit for minor injuries and is certified with a first aid course.
Health and Medication
The Daycare CANNOT KEEP ANY CHILD THAT IS SICK. Parents must make sure that in case of emergency; someone can come and get him/her as soon as possible after being notified of the circumstances.
No medication will be administered without parents written permission. Parents must bring the medication to the school office or daycare. A child cannot carry medication.
Parents are responsible for ensuring that the Daycare and School Office have up-to-date names and telephone numbers, of any persons who would be available should an emergency situation arise. It is important that parents share this information with their children.
In case of early school closure due to an emergency (weather, lack of electricity or heat), the Daycare will also be closed. It is essential that parents inform their child(ren) where to go if the parents are not home. Please note, that once parents have been informed that the school is closing, it is their responsibility to ensure that their child(ren) is picked up by the time the school closes or has made alternate arrangements for the student to go home on the bus or to a predetermined safe haven.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Mavis Palmer, Daycare Technician at 647-3911.